As a client of Easter Seals and the Fox Valley Region, sometimes it can be hard to keep your spirits up. You go to therapy and the progress can seem really slow. It can be frustrating to go week after week not to see concrete progress. Parents have to be their child’s biggest cheerleaders. Here are a few tips to keep spirits up during therapy.
– Acknowledge the little things such as a good step during walking if your child is in physical therapy.
– Tell your child if they are close to reaching a goal.
– Have the child relay what they did in therapy to another parent, a sibling, or another significant other in the child’s life.
– You could make a fun progress chart at home and keep track of the progress they are making in therapy.
– Have siblings or grandparents come in every once in a while and see how far the child has come. Grandparents in particular love bragging on grandchildren!
I recognize it is tough on parents too to see a difference when their child is in therapies week after week. Try to stay positive and remember that smiling at your child can make all the difference.
One thought on “Cheer Your Kid On with a Smile”