By: Kelly Lopresti, Director of Child Development
Children are our most valuable investment. Ensure that your child is aware of all the safety tips and rules this Halloween. Drive carefully as some children may dart into the street and may not be easily visible due to dark costumes. Please take the time to review the following safety rules with your child.
- Make sure young children are accompanied by an adult or responsible teenager when they go door-to-door.
- If children are going to be out after dark, me sure they carry a flashlight.
- Walk, slither, and sneak on sidewalks, not in the street! If there are no sidewalks, walk on the left side of the street facing traffic.
- Instruct children never to eat anything until they are home and the treats have been carefully examined. Throw away anything unwrapped. Check the wrapper of commercial treats for evidence of tampering.
- Leave your porch light on so children will know it’s okay to visit your home.
- Decorate costumes and treat bags with reflective tape for easier night visibility.
- Be cautious of animals and strangers.
- Use face paint rather than masks or things that will cover your eyes.
- Accept your treats at the door and never go into a stranger’s house.
- Plan a route on well lit streets and share it with your family.
- Don’t hide or cross the street between cars.
- Cross the street only at corner.
Have a safe and fun filled Halloween!!!
For other fun resources, check out the Power Ranger Megaforce Halloween Safety video!
Or read more about Halloween safety at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website.
Learn more about Easter Seals DuPage & Fox Valley’s Lily Garden Child Care Center at: http://www.eastersealslilygarden.org/page.aspx?pid=678.