By: Family Services Department
- Our Mary Alice D’Arcy Parent Resource Library at our Villa Park center was created for you! A key part of our mission is to “…provide support for families who love and care for (infants, children, and adults with disabilities) …” We have listened and responded to the many questions we receive by finding highly rated books on those topics.
- We have listed many of the books housed in our library onto goodreads to make it easier to browse our shelves from any location. Click HERE to see our goodreads profile and view our book list.
- We add new books all the time and they may not yet appear on this list. Please ask!
- Our children’s section is separated from the parent books and off to the right side of the library. These books can be great for siblings to help understand a diagnosis or for when talking with your child about challenges they may be facing.
- Our Naperville and Elgin centers also have small library collections with many of the same books.
- We labeled our “bookshelves” on goodreads to match our library shelf subjects. If you find a book you want to look at and it is listed as being on the “behavior” shelf on goodreads, you will find it on that shelf in our library. If you have any trouble finding a book you are looking for please ask a staff member for help.
- Checking out books is EASY! Here’s how:
Books may be signed out for 3 weeks
• Please complete the card located in a pocket inside the front cover of the book and return the card to the front desk
• Please return all books to the front desk
8. One of the most popular books (please ask for help if it is checked out when you look for it!) is:
- We love feedback, suggestions and requests. There is a place for parent comments located inside the back cover of most of the books. Please share your opinions so we can let other parents know what has been most helpful. If there is a book or a topic we don’t seem to have please come on in and ask. We have staff bursting with ideas and suggestions and file cabinets full of referral sources we would love to share! If you cannot find a staff member please ask the front desk for assistance.
- Our expert social service staff encourage you to come on in, hang out, use the computer, look over the books, read a book to your child, ask a question or simply stop in and chat with a staff member – we are here for our families and we are great listeners and problem solvers!
For more information on our family services including additional resources visit: http://www.easterseals.com/dfv/explore-resources/for-caregivers/family-services.html.